Monster cake pops
Yield 40 cake pops
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 bag orange Candy Melts (or your preferred color( for body
- 1/2 bag black Candy Melts (or your preferred color) for hair
- Candy eyeballs
- Colored sprinkles
- To prepare the cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan, and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the egg, sour cream, oil and vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour in the boiling water, and slowly mix until smooth and liquidy.
- Pour batter in the prepared pan, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer cake pan to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Then invert it onto a greased rack to let cool completely.
- While the cake cools, beat butter for a few minutes in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add powdered sugar. With the mixer on low, beat until the sugar incorporates with the butter.
- Add vanilla, heavy cream and cocoa powder. Beat on medium speed for another three minutes, or until buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
- Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Break the cooled cake into a few big chunks by hand and place the cake pieces into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until the big pieces turn into crumbs.
- Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups buttercream frosting gradually into the cake crumbs and blend until the mixture becomes a dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a portion of dough and then roll dough into evenly sized balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Melt small amount of Candy Melts (body color) in the microwave or a double boiler gradually, stirring until blended. Dip one end of a lollipop stick in the melted candy and insert into a cake ball. Repeat until you are done. Refrigerate again for 15 minutes.
- Melt the remaining Candy Melts (body color) in the microwave. Dip each cake pop in the melted candy and gently tap off excess. Carefully place one or two candy eyeballs on the cake pop. Place cake pop onto a piece of wax paper. Let it set and harden completely. Repeat with the remaining cake pops.
- Place the other batch of Candy Melts (hair color) in a resealable microwavable plastic bag. Microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds to completely melt the candy.
- Push the melted candy toward one corner of the bag. With a pair of scissors, snip off a very small opening, and start piping the candy on the top part as hair. Add sprinkles as desired. Allow to set and harden completely before serving.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/halloween/monster-cake-pops/