Boozy margarita pie
Yield 1 pie
- 10 ounces ginger snaps
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup tequila
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse the ginger snaps in a food processor until they’re fine crumbs. You should have about 1-1/4 cup when you’re done.
- Combine cookie crumbs, sugar, salt and melted butter in a small bowl and stir to combine. The mixture should feel like wet sand. Press gently into an 8-inch pie tin to form crust.
- In a medium bowl, lightly combined the egg yolks, condensed milk, orange zest, and lime juice. Add the tequila last. Stir until well incorporated.
- Pour filling into pie crust and bake for about 30 minutes in the center rack, until the edges set while the center still has a slight wobble.
- Optional: Add a sprinkle of good salt flakes along the edges. Allow to cool to room temperature on rack and then chill in fridge for a few hours before serving.
For extra credit, add a splash of triple sec and a tablespoon of sugar to about 1/2 cup of cream and whip it up for a deliciously citrus-scented whipped cream topping.
You can also take this pie a deeper, richer flavor profile by using mezcal instead of tequila, browning the butter before adding it to the crust, swapping white sugar for turbinado, and finishing with smoked salt. Trust
Pie is best when eaten the day it’s made.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/cinco-de-mayo/margarita-pie-recipe/