Yield 24 cookies
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon sugar for rolling
- Sliced almonds, mini chocolate chips, red hots, red licorice ropes, for decorations
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set the dry ingredients aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, egg, and vanilla to butter mixture. Continue to beat until well-incorporated.
- In three equal batches, slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until the mixture turns into a ball.
- Remove ball of dough and place in a bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll pieces of dough into 2-inch balls, then reroll into egg shapes.
- Roll each cookie in cinnamon sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in top half of oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove from oven and quickly decorate warm cookies with candy.
- Use sliced almonds for ears, mini chocolate chips for eyes, a small red candy for nose, and licorice ropes for tails. Place the face toward one end of each cookie, not centered in the middle.
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire rack.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/christmas/these-adorable-christmas-mouse-cookies-are-simple-and-sweet/