Creamy baked macaroni and cheese
Yield 6-8 servings
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Colby Jack cheese, shredded, divide into 1 cup and 1 cup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) smoked Gouda cheese, shredded, divided into 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter an 8x10-inch casserole dish with one tablespoon of butter.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until it is al dente, about seven minutes.
- Drain pasta and return it to the cooking pot.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle flour over the butter.
- Make a roux by continuously whisking flour with the butter until the mixture turns a golden brown. The roux will go through several phases before coming together and coloring. Be patient.
- Slowly whisk in half-and-half and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add one cup of Colby Jack cheese and stir until the sauce is creamy.
- Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni, tossing to coat well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, one cup Colby Jack cheese, one cup Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese.
- Add salt and pepper and adjust the seasonings according to taste.
- Whisk the eggs into the cheese mixture.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the macaroni, stirring until well combined.
- Pour macaroni into the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the macaroni with remaining 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda cheese and parsley.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
- Allow the macaroni and cheese to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Courses Side dish
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/christmas/creamy-baked-macaroni-and-cheese/