Holiday pinwheel cookies
Yield 34 cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops “super red” food coloring
- Red, white, and green sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, another 2 minutes or so.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- In three separate additions, slowly add the flour mixture. Beat on low until combined and you can no longer see any of the white flour.
- Divide dough in half, using a scale to measure both portions evenly.
- Form one-half of the dough into a 4x4-inch square. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place other half of dough into the mixer and add four drops of super red food coloring, mixing to color the dough. Add more coloring, if needed, until you reach your preferred color.
- Form the red-colored dough into another 4x4-inch square and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate both squares of dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Place parchment paper on two baking sheets.
- Cut each dough square into four equal-sized strips. Place three strips of the red dough and four strips of cream-colored dough on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.
- On a lightly-floured piece of parchment paper, roll out a strip of red dough into a 6x7-inch rectangle, using a ruler to check the dimensions.
- Place 1 strip of cream-colored dough on a separate lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Roll it out into a 6x7-inch rectangle.
- Place 1 dough sheet (using parchment to flip) on top of the other piece, aligning all the edges. Run a rolling pin lightly over both doughs to adhere.
- Repeat with this process with another strip of red dough and cream-colored dough. Layer them on top creating four layers of alternating red and cream-colored doughs. Roll layered dough into a log.
- Repeat process with remaining four strips of dough. You will have a total of 2 logs. Trim edges and wrap each log in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate logs for at least 1 hour.
- Remove logs from refrigerator and roll each log on the counter several times to prevent the bottom from flattening. Roll in sprinkles of red, white, and green sprinkles. Rewrap the dough. Refrigerate for another 3 hours or until logs are very firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice each dough log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place the cookies 1-1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden on the bottom.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Recipe by Grateful | makeitgrateful.com at https://www.makeitgrateful.com/celebrate/christmas/classic-holiday-pinwheel-cookies-bring-back-all-the-feelings-from-your-childhood-christmas-gatherings/